Information About Dwarka
Dwarka is a sub city, located in the South West Delhi district of the National Capital Territory of Delhi. It is named after the legendary Dwarka Kingdom. Some parts of modern day Dwarka historically came under the colony of Pappan Kalan, which are now being developed under the 'Urban Expansion Projects' of the Delhi Development Authority. One of the largest residential areas in Asia, it is supposed to have a "Zero Tolerance" policy towards common misuses of land and the transgressions of any existing laws and regulations, such as encroachments, which are frequently thought to be flouted in other parts of Delhi. It is also frequently referred to as the "Model Township" and is also thought to be the most organized and cleanest of all parts of Delhi and nearby townships.Dwarka also showcases the most developed road network for any colony in Delhi and nearby townships. Unlike Gurgaon or Noida, Dwarka has been developed mainly as a residential township which has translated to only few congestion problems faced by its residents every now and then. Dwarka is also known for its higher quality and much better maintained infrastructure like roads etc. which many believe sets it apart from nearby townships.
• India's first Science and Technology Park, NSIT Campus • Airport Express Metro Line • Eros Metro Mall, sector 14 • Dwarka Expressway, starting from Dwarka and connecting Palam Vihar and SEZS In Gurgaon to join NH8. • New Delhi's second diplomatic enclave after Chanakya Puri to come up is in Sectors 26 to 29. The diplomatic enclave will house embassies of at least 39 nations. • Proposed Delhi's 5th largest ISBT at Sector 23. • 7 Sports Complexes have been planned in the sub city, of which 1 has been constructed by DDA and is fully functional at Sector 11 • India's largest Exhibition and Convention Center to be built by DLF in Sector 24 • Several 5 and 7 star hotels have also been planned across the sub city. • WynDham by Ramada Group, Sector 10 • The Park Hotel at Sector 13 • Vivanta by Taj Hotels • World class Metro service • Liberal provision of open space and greenery. • Sub City – Central Green ( Bharat Vandana Park ) • Metropolitan Passenger Terminal ( ISBT, Directional Rail Terminal ) • Integrated Freight Complex (IFC ) • Modern Health and Education Facilities • Kargil Housing ( Vijay Veer Awas ) • Defense, SPG & CRPF Complex • Socio – Cultural Center & International Convention Centre • Linea District Centre • Mixed Land Use • Proposed Golf Course etc.
Location and Surrounding Areas
The sub-city is located in southwest Delhi in the vicinity of International and Domestic airports. It is bounded by NH-8, Outer Ring Road, Najafgarh Road, Pankha Road, and the Rewari railway line. West End, Vasant Kunj, Vasant Vihar, Janakpuri residential area and Delhi cantonment are the other major surrounding landmarks. • It is at a short distance from Gurgaon. • A Second Diplomatic enclave, to be developed as part of Dwarka Phase 2 in the near future. • Distance from Dwarka to • Distance from Dwarka to • IGI Airport - 4 KM • Dhaula Kuan - 10 KM • India Gate - 15 KM • Cannaught Place - 18 KM • Old Delhi Rly. Stn. - 23 KM • Nehru Place - 24 KM • ISBT - 25 KM • Gurgaon - 22 KM
• Dwarka has a robust and well connected road network built to modern specifications to each of its sectors and adjoining areas • The sub city is well connected by metro rail with the city center and other major parts of the city by MRTS. The work to connect Dwarka with Connaught Place / ITO is now complete. There are a total of 10 metro stations in Dwarka and two more are under construction (the highest for any colony). • The sub city will be connected to the mother city by 4 major roads from all directions. • If entering from the north, a 45 meter wide road connecting Pankha Road partly by covering Palam drain. Work was completed and the road opened for the public in 2007. • While entering from the west, a 60 meter wide road connecting Najafgarh Road is constructed. • While entering from the east, a 45 meter wide road through Cantonment area with a fly-over near Palam. The fly over and road were opened for the public in 2006. • While entering from the southeast, a 60 meter wide road from NH-8 (with a rail underpass). The road was already constructed. • Dwarka is expected to be connected to Gurgaon by metro in the near future due to its close proximity to the NCR town. • A special metro line known as the Airport Express line will also connect Dwarka to the Indira Gandhi International Airport. • Dwarka sub-city has 14.11% is proposed to be under transportation use. The hierarchy of road system adopted in Dwarka sub-city is as under. • Express way 100 Meters • Primary roads 60 Meters • Primary Collector 45 Meters • Secondary Collector 30 Meters • Local Streets -20 Meters and 12 Meters • Cycle track-12 Meters
Population and Area
The urban extension plan was prepared to accommodate the projected population and was conceived to be developed in four phases Dwarka sub-city forms part of Phase 1A of the Urban extension plan. • Population - 1,100,000 • Total area - 5648 ha. • Area (Phase - I) - 1964 ha. • Area (Phase - II) - 1996 ha. • Existing built up - 1688 ha. • Dwarka project is planned with 29 sectors. • The land use distribution of Dwarka follows a distinct hierarchical pattern from sub-city level to sector level. The land use distribution is as under Gross Residential - 48.54% Commercial - 7.05% Government - 0.94%
The sub-city provides housing for about 500,000 families. Many of these families have not yet been able to move into their flats because of impending court orders which have so far failed to give relief to the thousands of people who are still stranded as a result of a C.G.H.S scam. The Registrar of Cooperative Societies, Delhi has issued a list of 48 societies (CGHS) cleared for allotment. Recently another list of 57 societies (CGHS) have been cleared by Delhi High Court, however their allotment process may take some time. Public / Semi-Public - 6.20% Recreational - 19.94% Transport - 14.33% Utilities - 3.00%
• Each of the residential sectors has been envisaged to be self contained communities and has been designed for a population of about 30,000 each. • Area of each sector is about 81 ha. (900 m x 900 m) • Each sector is bounded on all sides by of 45 and 60 meters arterial wide roads • From arterial roads only 4 entries have been taken into the sector at a minimum distance of 450 m. • A network of cycle tracks and pedestrian pathways has been proposed within each sector which links the housing clusters and their facilities within each sector. • All sectors are proposed to have a mix of housing of various socio-economic groups • Sector 16, 17 and 23 are the new booming areas within the sub city as the areas have seen various universities being established in recent times.
• Dwarka has witnessed a massive retail boom in the past couple of years with major brands now having set up shop in the sub city. The price of commercial space has skyrocketed in recent times and is expected to rise further as more middle and upper class residents begin to move in. • The commercial hub of the city will be developed along the proposed Metro Railway line (MRTS) in a linear form. • Until recently the commercial zone in Dwarka consists of two major markets in sector 6 and 10. Newer markets like Aashirwad Chowk - which is the juncture of sectors 4, 5, 11, and 12, have recently come up. Sector 20 and 21 (Metro Mall) new Booming Sectors in Dwarka for Commercial activity • The entire commercial spine is connected to different sectors of Dwarka by 60 m and 45 m roads, which are the major bus routes. • The location of the district center is of special significance, since this will be the major work and commercial center in Dwarka. • Dwarka however lacks well behind in terms of commercial office space infrastructure and business investments compared to other NCR towns like Gurgaon and Noida. This is mainly because Dwarka has never had a real policy as regards to its zoning for commercial activity for use other than for retail. Gurgaon and Noida both known as prominent outsourcing hubs in contrast have attracted a large number of multinational companies to set up offices in its township vastly transforming its skyline in a span years. • Shopping plazas have also come up in Sector 7, 19, 22, 23 • Convention center in sector 24 to be build by DLF • The head office of the famous software company Exattosoft is also placed in Dwarka itself. • The first mall of Dwarka is being built in Sector- 14, next to the metro station and the National Law University, Delhi.
• Metro based system will be the major mover of the people within core area. • 10 Metro stations in the Dwarka sub-city. • Bus based public transport system will also be the primary mode of transportation of the people in Dwarka. • The basic road network has been planned both to supplement and compliment the metro based system. • Cycle tracks and pedestrian pathways passing through green areas have been proposed. • Major DTC Bus Routes operating in and out of Dwarka are 578, 764, 717, 721, 722, 724E, 752, 761, 778, 801, RL-75, RL-77, RL-79 etc. In addition to this there are other DTC Buses operating with lower frequencies. • DTC Bus Route no. 764 - the most frequent bus service to Dwarka is for last few months under constant scrutiny due to the poor condition of 764 buses, overcrowding of the blue line buses, longer route through Palam Village and neg
• Utility: The provision of the various utility infrastructure based on projected population of 10.68 lakhs for the entire Dwarka sub-city has been conceived as under. • Proper Water Supply promised by the proposed water treatment plant at Bakrawala. • Reliable sewage treatment plant adjoining Najafgarh drain which will carry treated discharge for disposal. • Storm Water Drain assuring proper drainage system and helps to raise the water-table of the surrounding area and could be used for water sports etc. • Solid Waste Disposal by modern and sophisticated technology • Uninterrupted Electricity by Mega Power plants • Public Semi Public : Total area of about 368 Ha which constitutes 6.52% of the total area of sub-city is assigned for public and semi public facilities and will cater for major facilities like University, Delhi institute of Technology, besides the facilities to be provided at neighborhood level/layout plan level.